Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Choosing Books After Lent

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams was "the chosen one" for my first novel after the no-books-for-Lent experience. I was hooked, pretty much instantly. First of all, it has my favorite kind of heroine - a little girl who uses books to escape her life. In this case, Kyra is trying to escape the compound where she lives, daughter to a man who has 3 wives. Kyra, herself, is betrothed to marry her 60-year-old uncle. Having not actually grown up in the polygamist life, myself, I cannot speak to the accuracy of this novel's account. I can, however, tell you that the author is a good writer. I was drawn into the story and kept waiting for what would happen next.


Moving on from that, I picked up How To Buy a Love of Reading by Tanya Egan Gibson. The title intrigued me, so I requested it from the Amazon Vine program. The premise of the book is that the main character, Carley, has no "passion" in her life, at least, academically. And, her parents just can't have this, in their social class and private school mentality. Her father decides to hire an author to live in their house and write a book for/about Carley, in an effort to force her to love reading. I could not get into this book. They whiny rich kids annoyed me.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment