Monday, February 2, 2009

Home to Holly Springs

I finished reading Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon on January 31st. If you know me, you know I did not enjoy Mitford enough to move past the first book in the series. I certainly didn't plan to try Holly Springs, but it was the first selection of the year for the book group I joined at church. I am really excited about the group and the rest of the year's books, so I gave in and read this one.

I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't boring. I learned a lot about an actual Mississippi town called Holly Springs. The town is very near me, and I heard many familiar places and events mentioned. I always enjoy an author that takes the time to learn and write about a real place. I may even take a day trip to Holly Springs soon, because I love the feeling of being inside a book.

Towards the end, the story started to drag, and some loose ends got tied up so sweetly that it could have been annoying, if it weren't about a priest. God sometimes does tie ends up sweetly. Not always, but sometimes.
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment