Monday, February 23, 2009

Same Kind of Different As Me

I picked up Same Kind of Different as Me by Denver Moore and Ron Hall, because we are discussing it for book group in March. March 2nd actually, so I am cutting my reading close. Not too close, I guess. I read it more quickly than I expected to. It wasn't just that it is a relatively short book, but also the writing is very easy to read. The two men tell their story, trading back and forth on who is doing the telling. It is very much like sitting down to talk with the two of them. Ok, maybe not quite as awesome as it would be to sit down and talk with them in person.

I am not sure what I was expecting from this book, but it was way better than whatever I thought the story would be about. Both authors are very honest, even when it does not paint them in the best light. Honesty is refreshing in Christians. I didn't even realize Christianity was a part of the story for a bit, but it certainly is. More importantly, God in all His daily-present reality is a part of the story.

I knew fairly quickly that someone had to die in this book. I had a feeling I knew who, and my heart seized up. But, I kept going, and I am glad I did. I thought a lot about losing Natalie and a lot about a woman who died just after we moved here, Renee. I thought of the faith of both of these women and the woman in the story. All three are real women who loved God and left earlier than any of us would have chosen for them (or for ourselves, for that matter). I have thought, since my friend Pat was killed at 19, that death is a sort of ministry. God uses our passing as well as our living... sometimes better.

Lots of deep thoughts and heavy convictions.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment